What happens in Counselling?
Counselling offers you the opportunity to talk in confidence to a counsellor who is trained to help you explore your feelings and difficulties in a safe and supportive way. It can help you to gain insight, to make sense of what you are feeling. By talking about difficult feelings, it can help to reduce discomfort. Therapy can help you feel less confused, focus on your strengths and empower to make changes in your life, or come to terms with and accept things that can’t be changed.
The counsellor provides you with a safe, confidential, non-judgmental space to talk; they listen and respond in supportive way with empathy. They help you to find out why you feel as you do, to explore the choices you might make in order to move forward in your life. Counsellors do not give advice, make decisions for you, or make judgments about your situation, they give you the space to make those discoveries for yourself.
What can Counselling help with?
There are so many reasons for seeking counselling or therapy, and they will be unique to the person who seeks it. You may be feeling upset, distressed and have problems with your feelings, thoughts, behaviour, and your relationships with others. You may have had a life crisis such as bereavement, relationship breakdown, illness, or other loss. You may have anxiety, depression or work-related stress. The list is endless:
• Addiction, Dependency, Alcohol, Drugs, Over eating, Gambling etc
• Adult survivors of abuse, emotional, physical, sexual
• A need to be able to relate to yourself and others in a more authentic way
• Bereavement including pets
• Curiosity to understand yourself more deeply
• Dealing with effects of trauma
• Difficulty building satisfactory relationships with other people
• Eating disorders
• Feelings of depression, low mood, sadness
• Feelings of loneliness, anxiety or isolation
• Feeling unhappy, confused, angry or dissatisfied
• Health problems
• Lack of worth, low self-esteem
• Relationship difficulties
• Termination of pregnancy.
• Work related problems, accidents, redundancy, stress etc.
It often feels as if we are stuck in the problem, however, Counselling can offer a new perspective
Any problem or difficulty can be discussed in the strictest confidence according to our Confidentiality code
If you are unsure if counselling can help you, we are happy to offer a 30 minute initial consultation free of charge, without obligation.